15 January 2018
Indianapolis Climathon: Increasing resiliency
The Climate-KIC Climathon is a global 24-hour climate change event which will take place simultaneously in major cities around the world on 28 October 2016.
In Indianapolis the Climate-KIC Climathon will begin on the morning of the 28 October EDT and finish on the following day. It is organised by the City of Indianapolis Office of Sustainability in partnership with Indiana University – Purdue University, Indianapolis to create new solutions to improve transportation and mobility flow into the city centre.
The City of Indianapolis is challenging participants to create a framework or toolkit for neighborhoods to increase resiliency. Resilient neighborhoods are better able to anticipate, adapt, and flourish in the face of change. Teams should consider the following:
- neighborhood-scale solutions
- ideas that both mitigate impacts from disasters and improve residents’ everyday life
- re-purposing resources that are readily available in Indy neighborhoods
The framework or toolkit should be applicable to all neighborhoods in Indianapolis, but designed to be piloted in the Great Places 2020 Neighborhoods. Teams should attempt to include a mechanism for incorporating neighborhood actions into a city-wide resiliency master plan.
Pitching to expert judges
The Climathon event will culminate in presentation of each group’s idea in front of panel members who will provide valuable feedback. The panel is comprised of different science and business experts.
City of Indianapolis Office of Sustainability in partnership with Indiana University – Purdue University, Indianapolis
How to join the Climathon
How will you benefit from participating in Climathon?
- Help solve your city’s local climate challenge, and make your city more resilient to climate change
- Network with local leaders from academia, business and public authorities
- Develop your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and explore new tools and methodologies
- Join forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs and innovators
- Become a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Register your interest now to join the Climathon global movement and drive climate action