29 November 2017
Climathon opens applications for 2017 city hosts
Climate-KIC’s hugely successful Climathon programme opens for city host applications this week.
Climate-KIC is looking for city’s around the world to join the climathon movement, and drive climate action.
What is Climathon?
Climathon is a global 24-hour climate change hackathon which will take place simultaneously in major cities around the world on 27 October 2017.
It brings together the challenges of the world’s cities with the people who have the passion and ability to solve them. Climathon attracts innovators, entrepreneurs, students and professionals to create innovative solutions to cities climate challenges.
In cities with a 24 hour Climathon event, a Young Climathon can be set up for undergraduate students with a related challenge but with shorter time frame.
Now its third year of operation, the Climathon movement has grown tremendously over the past two years, encouraging more innovators across the globe to drive climate action.
Climathon has grown from 19 to 59 cities in the space of a year, operating across 6 continents, creating over 2330 ideas and reaching 16.8 million people worldwide in 2016.
Each city sets its own local climate challenge that reflects what affects their urban life the most. Challenges can vary from air quality, water and waste management, and extreme weather events, use of city satellite data, etc.
Participants then tackle the set challenge for a full 24-hours, before pitching their ideas in front of relevant local stakeholders.
These ideas can develop into tangible sustainable solutions and businesses that address city climate challenges across the globe.
Become a Climathon City Host
Engage your citizens to take real climate action today!
How will you benefit from the Climathon?
- Crowdsourcing local ideas to solve climate challenges of your city
- Engagement of local students, entrepreneurs and innovators
- Forge strong links between local businesses, academia and public bodies
- Empower and showcase your local communities climate action across the globe
- Engage with new global partners through Climate-KIC
Climate-KIC support to Host Organisations:
- Climate-KIC & Global Climathon branding tools
- Climathon event webpage for each Climathon city
- Online registration portal for participants
- Climathon handbook and event planning guide
- Communication toolkits: online marketing materials, customizable flyers and posters etc.
- On-going advisory forum to plan and run Climathon
For more information
If you have any queries about the Climathon please contact:
Climathon Manager – Orsolya Barna