Climate-KIC is the EU’s largest public private partnership addressing climate change through innovation to build a net zero-emissions economy.
We aim to transform whole systems through innovation to build resilience and decarbonize at a fast-enough rate to reach the 1.5° target and a net-zero emissions Europe. Climate-KIC has refocused its strategy around systems transformation to reach impact at scale. Our approach is based on building an active and diverse community of organisations all working together; a careful analysis of the key levers at play across different systems (e.g. cities, land use, industry, and finance); and finally, a commitment to experimentation and rapid prototyping (to become the fastest learning organisation in the area of climate).
To achieve this plan, Climate-KIC needs talents from multiple areas of expertise and backgrounds able to bring a wide range of perspectives into the organisation. We are looking for individuals comfortable with change and keen to experiment on our own organisation first – by testing new ways of working, deep collaboration, new ways of learning and gathering business intelligence.
Our people are effectively our first ambassadors and our primary community – we expect them to role model deep collaboration across teams, countries, and organisations.
Purpose of the role
We are looking for an Office Manager for our Amsterdam office who will take significant responsibility and provide excellent support to the office and Climate-KIC staff based . The incumbent will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the office, performing a wide range of administrative, clerical, financial and managerial duties. They will also be a point of constant liaison with AMS (the corporate owners of the building) and with the City of Amsterdam to realise local projects and showcases in and around the Marineterrein.
The job will involve interaction with other Climate-KIC offices and colleagues across Europe and does require occasional travel.
- Oversee smooth running of the Amsterdam office, developing and implementing relevant policies and practices
- Oversee, forecast and manage needs of the Amsterdam office in terms of office space, equipment and office supplies
- Produce documents, briefing papers, reports and presentations for the team
- Take and relay accurate and timely messages from telephone callers, providing switchboard support where necessary
- Organise meetings, ensuring that meeting rooms are booked and that phone lines are operational
- Meet and greet visitors at all levels of seniority
- Serve as the central contact point (manager) for the new travel system
- Coordinate appointments, book transport and accommodation
- Order stationery, furniture and equipment
- Review and implement the company’s health and safety policy
- Deal with correspondence, complaints and queries
- Implement and maintain procedures/office/administrative systems
- Attending meetings (taking minutes) with management
- Maintenance of personnel records on our HR system Cezanne
- Undertake other duties as requested by line management
- Day to day relations with staff and external contacts
- Liaise with staff, suppliers and clients
- Arrange training for colleagues
- Organise induction programmes for new employees
- Main point of contact for owners of building (AMS)
- Point of contact person for our engagement with the City of Amsterdam in relation to our engagement in projects etc.
- Provide ICT support for shared equipment, individual computers and guests to ensure the smooth functioning of our digital infrastructure
- Use a variety of software packages
- Serve as the Amsterdam ICT representative across the greater Climate-KIC community in liaison with the Head of ICT
- Responsible for the processing of all financial requirements for the team such as expense claims, raising purchase orders
- Responsible for monitoring travel and office expenditure and producing monthly reports on this; advise Amsterdam staff on travel and available options that fit the appropriate budget framework
- Ensure Amsterdam budgets are adhered to by reconciling accounts on a regular basis
- Management and control of personnel data – Cezanne
- Support for recruitment processes
- Onboarding of new employees / implementation of leaver processes
- Provide contract management support, in collaboration with the central People team
- Management and 1st point of contact for ARBO (sick leave / doctor visit)
- Management and contact person for UWV
- Insurance and pension mutations
The post holder may be required to undertake other duties, broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Key working relationships
- EA to CEO
- Climate-KIC Amsterdam colleagues
- Staff of AMS (building owners)
- Key administrative/event/communication colleagues
- All C-KIC staff and guests who visit Climate-KIC’s Amsterdam office
- Contacts at the City of Amsterdam
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent experience and/or qualifications) in a subject related to management and administration
- Experience or with sustainability and/or climate change is desirable
- Dealing with a variety of professionals and staff at all levels
- Working in or with complex organisations
- Office management experience
- Meeting and workshop co-ordination experience
- Experience of planning and using initiative to improve operational efficiency
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Dutch
- Excellent typing skills
- Good computer literacy (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, as minimum)
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent communication, networking and interpersonal skills, with a particular sensitivity to other cultures
- Professional telephone manner
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Strong multi-tasker with an ability to maintain high levels of quality and accuracy in work, including in highly pressurised situations
Qualities, Personal style and approach
- Self-motivated, driven and proactive
- Flexible and a capacity to prioritize own work to changing external demands
- Well presented, with a bright, confident personality
- Ability to act independently and make decisions without supervision; to act on own initiative and use judgement and discretion
- Ability to command the respect and cooperation of a wide range of professionals
- Ability to work flexibly within a new and changing environment
- A flexible and mature approach with ability to work unsupervised
- Commitment to and enthusiasm for the mission of Climate-KIC
Please note that candidates must have the right to work in the EU prior to applying for the position. The successful candidate will normally be based at the nearest EIT Climate-KIC office to where they are currently living.
Our application and recruitment process
Climate-KIC values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background.
Your application should be written in English and consist of:
- a full curriculum vitae
- a covering letter describing briefly how your profile, skills and experience meet the criteria outlined in the person specification, and outlining your interest in and vision for the role.
- your current salary
- where you saw this role advertised.
Please send your full application using the “apply now” button above. You should state your name followed by the role for which you are applying for in the subject line of the email. The deadline for receipt of applications is 23.59 GMT on the date published on the job advert.
Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by email.
Your application will be reviewed on or around the closing date for the vacancy for which you have applied. If your application is shortlisted for interview, you will be contacted directly by Climate-KIC.
Candidates invited to a first interview, will be notified of the outcome and informed about next stages if they are successful.
NB/ This advertisement will be taken down from the website after the closing date so it is a good idea to copy and keep the text for reference to use should you be invited to interview.