Smart from the Start - Tools for electricity utilities making their consumers responsive
Founding Year: 2014
Responsive electricity consumers adapt their usage to signals received from utilities. This results in:
- Reduction of consumption during peak hours
- Steering usage towards hours with more renewable generation
- Cheaper renewable integration into the electricity grid
- Energy savings due to increased consumption awareness
The initial strategy is to engage electricity suppliers with consumers in the early stages of their electricity use; making them smart from the start.
Our hardware and software supplement the power system so that:
- Consumers can interact with the system before use of big loads
- Our algorithms give answers instantly taking into account real time production and consumption
- Real time monitoring makes sure instructions are followed and stops theft.
This way the consumption pattern is modified without needing smart appliances.
Team Members: Karl Njálsson (Energy Science and Technology, M.Sc. ETH); Anubhav Ratha (Electrical Engineering, M.Sc. ETH)