15 January 2018
Shanghai’s Climathon: Improving air quality of the city
The Climate-KIC Climathon is a global 24-hour climate change event which will take place simultaneously in major cities around the world on 28 October 2016.
In Shanghai the Climate-KIC Climathon will begin on the morning of the 28 October CST and finish on the following day. It is organised by the S.F. EXPRESS to create new solutions to improve the air quality for the city of Shanghai.
“How to accelerate the improvement of Shanghai’s Air Quality, in terms of Clothing, Eating, Housing and Commuting, via innovation of products, processes and procedures?”
Among all pollutants, PM 2.5 has the greatest impact on municipal residents’ health. It has become the most critical livable indicator of residents’ satisfaction of Chinese major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. Residents, no matter in the city or farmland, can all contribute to the improvement of quality of air that we all share. According to the experience of developed countries, no matter London and Manchester in Europe, Los Angeles in the United States, or Tokyo and Kitakyushu in Japan, all these metropolitans took 30 years to get their clear sky back. Shanghai has a much higher population and more intensive industrialization. How to reduce the resilience period has become the biggest challenge to Shanghai.
Participants will be encouraged to select one of the following segments to develop new solutions to accelerate the improvement of Shanghai’s Air Quality:
- Clothing (incl. Consumption and Disposal)
- Eating (incl. Food Security, Health and Lifestyle)
- Housing (incl. Construction and Lifestyle)
- Commuting (incl. Transportation, Energy, Industry and Lifestyle)
Pitching to expert judges
The Climathon event will culminate in presentation of each group’s idea in front of panel members who will provide valuable feedback. The panel is comprised of different science and business experts.
How to join the Climathon
How will you benefit from participating in Climathon?
- Help solve your city’s local climate challenge, and make your city more resilient to climate change
- Network with local leaders from academia, business and public authorities
- Develop your skills in public speaking, innovative thinking, prioritisation, and explore new tools and methodologies
- Join forces with other like-minded entrepreneurs and innovators
- Become a part of a global community working together to take climate action!
Register your interest now to join the Climathon global movement and drive climate action