15 January 2018
Lima Climathon: Collective intelligence for a sustainable city
The Climate-KIC Climathon is a global 24-hour climate change event which will take place simultaneously in major cities around the world on 28 October 2016.
In Lima, the Climate-KIC Climathon will begin on the morning of the 28 October PET and finish on the following day. It is organised by Libélula y Líderes and looks to make transportation sustainable and efficient, create waste solutions and make more public green areas.
The 2015 citizen satisfaction survey “How are we doing Lima?” showed that there are three main environmental concerns in Lima:
1) The pollution by vehicles. Lima is routinely cataloged as one of the cities with the worst air quality-74% of respondents are concerned about this issue.
2) Deficient waste management: Lima produces over 7,800 tonnes of waste every day, of which less than 10% is recycled.
3) Lack of green public spaces: Lima has less than three meters squared of green space per citizen, which is far less than the minimum recommended by the WHO of 8 meters squared.
Seeing this, the Lima Climathon challenges shall be grouped around these three main topics:
-Sustainable and efficient transportation: how can we improve urban transportation using technology, innovation and entrepreneurship?
– Zero Waste Solutions: how can we create solutions that help Lima reduce, reuse and recycle on a path to zero waste?
– Public spaces and Green areas: how can we make our green public spaces more abundant and turn them into central elements of community life?
Pitching to expert judges
The Climathon event will culminate in presentation of each group’s idea in front of panel members who will provide valuable feedback. The panel is comprised of different science and business experts.
Libélula y Líderes