Conventional boat engines run on fossil fuels and are very noisey. They emit considerable amounts of greenhouse gases and pollutants during fuel combustion. Moreover, combustion engines suffer from low efficiencies, leading to a high demand of primary energy. On the other hand, battery-powered boats suffer from low energy capacity and weigh more. Due to environmental issues and tightened diesel restrictions, future propulsion systems need to be emission-free to significantly reduce climate impact in this sector, allowing for sustainable maritime mobility.
Uniqueness, Technology overview, barriers to competition
- Clean maritime propulsion: zero emissions, no CO2, no NOX, no pollutants.
- Flexibility: variable set up of modules to fit various boat types.
- Speed & Range: comparable to diesel, up to 8 x range compared to batteries (with given space).
- Fast Refueling: 17 x faster than batteries, similar to diesel.
- Easy to use: automatic control of components for lowest energy consumption.
- Improved comfort: low noise, low vibration, no smell.
- Agility: improved acceleration and breaking due to high torque of e-motors.
Market size and analysis
Our target market is the boat engine market (up to 600kW) which is worth €8bn. Studies reveal that about one third of boat engine are expected to be electric by 2027, meaning a €3bn serviceable market for us. The initial target market is the high-end leisure boat market, where consumers are prone to be early adopters of zero-emission boats. Hydrogen powered boats have been launched as a result of research projects, but never been commercialised. Competitors could be producers focusing on battery technologies, although their field of applications is relatively limited.
|First Name||Last Name||Job Title||Impressive Facts|
|Moritz||Weißenborn||CEO||MSc Vehicle Engineering | Experience in electric drive-train development and battery technology from companies like DLR; where he designed a test bench and the testing routines for Li-Ion batteries.|
|Georg||Wesolowski||CTO||MSc Naval Architecture; BSc Computer Science | Experties in ship efficiency and alternative propulsion systems. 8 years of work experience as an IT-consultant and web developer.|
|Malte||Grapentin||CFO||MSc Industrial Engineering & Management | Experience in energy monitoring and software development projects. Due to his island background he is familiar with every kind of maritime application.|
Ask, use of proceeds, milestones
Get in touch
You need to log in or register to contact this startup.