EIT Climate-KIC (Knowledge and Innovation Community) is the EU’s largest public-private partnership addressing climate change through innovation. Our community consists of over 300 leading partners from business, academia, the public sector and NGOs. Our purpose is to help create a prosperous, inclusive, climate resilient society founded on a circular, zero-carbon economy.
We focus on levers of systemic change, looking for where innovation is most needed to accelerate deep decarbonisation (elimination of fossil fuels and negative carbon) and effective adaptation. EIT Climate-KIC is predominantly grant-funded by the European Institute for Innovation and Technology, a body of the European Union and acts as a platform to work across boundaries and across sectors, fostering innovation as a catalyst for transformation. We:
- provide funding,
- facilitate the creation of innovation consortia,
- work together with our partners to take a portfolio approach to innovation options,
- challenge and seek to enrich business model design,
- offer tailored support for experimentation, implementation and scaling, and
- incubate very early stage ideation and pre-seed innovation.
To make ourselves accessible to key actors and ‘challenge owners’, we work along four priority themes: urban transitions, sustainable land use, sustainable production systems, and decision metrics and climate finance. In all four areas, we place an emphasis on entrepreneurship and innovation design, on education as a driver of behavioural change through new skills and capabilities and on policy innovation. We run programmes for students, start-ups and innovators across Europe via centres in major cities and regions, convening a community of excellence in people and organisations.
We balance strategic innovation, aimed at renewing core business models, with a significant portfolio of bottom-up innovation – e.g. through our start-up accelerators – to learn, evaluate and continuously adjust our efforts to impact climate change. Ultimately, we aim to become a leader in systemic innovation that contributes to a paradigm shift from a linear, industrial production system to a circular, regenerative model, leveraging the power of our unique community of innovators and inspiring change beyond it.
Purpose of the role
The role will provide strategic and tactical communications support to Climate-KIC’s Business Development Team, and as such, will be the first point of contact for their marketing and communication needs and requirements. You will ensure that activities are coordinated, and harmonious with, the overall principles, aims and activities of Climate-KIC’s communications.
A core part of this role is working closely with the business development team to develop materials and messaging to help it deliver on revenue diversification strategies, including through grants, philanthropy, services and sponsorship.
Working closely with the central communications team, as well as colleagues across local regions, you will help coordinate and market our brand across partners, funders, sponsors and our community acting as a brand champion to raise the visibility and understanding of EIT Climate-KIC.
All responsibilities are focused on strengthening the business development marketing and communication needs and aligned with the strategic guidance of the communication function:
- Developing and delivering a marketing and communications plan and key messaging for business development
- Develop marketing and communications tools and templates for business development
- Develop funder focused bespoke marketing and communication materials of all kinds, including bespoke presentations and pitches
- Collaborate closely with communications colleagues to build collective effort and share materials, frameworks and resources
- Developing and maintaining communications and marketing materials such as brochures, event information leaflets, and newsletters, slide decks, infographics and project narratives
- Align with the corporate communications team to develop integrated campaigns
- Develop and maintain business development web pages and social media (related to BD events) with accurate and engaging content, working with content and social media managers
- On BD successes, draft high quality press materials, including case studies, press releases, blogs, biographies and opinion pieces
- Identify content and thought leadership opportunities, such as media or speaker placements
- Writing, proof-reading, brand, design and multi-media content production
- Regular coordination with Climate-KIC staff and partners as required
- Support bid writing from a marcom perspective when relevant.
Key working relationships
- Director Business Development and Fundraising
- Director of Communications
- BD Lead Knowledge and Strategy
- Business Development Team
- Corporate communications team
- European communications team
- Executive team, including CEO office, and CSO
- Potential funders and sponsors
- Climate-KIC partners
- Degree in marketing, communications, business, sustainability, climate change or related field or equivalent level of work experience.
- At least five years’ experience with sound all-round marketing and communications skills, working with business to drive sustainability and positive change
- Good understanding of business development, and preferred experience with bid writing and or funder/sponsor communication
- Good understanding and knowledge of entrepreneurship or climate is an advantage
- Experience in complex stakeholder management
- Experience of working within a business development context and commercial acumen.
- Excellent project and campaign management skills with solid track record of overseeing major projects and complex organisational relationships to deliver results
- Competent IT skills including Adobe Creative Suite
- Excellent English language and written skills with a proven track record of published work or PR
Qualities, Personal style and Approach
- The ability to absorb complex information, synthesise and distil into communications-friendly messages and calls to action
- The ability to work in a complex and distributed organisation
- Team player, who is committed to the mission of Climate-KIC to accelerate the transition to a net-zero carbon economy through whole system transformation
- Fluency in more than one language is an advantage
Please note that candidates must have the right to work in the EU prior to applying for the position. The successful candidate will normally be based at the nearest EIT Climate-KIC office to where they are currently living.
Climate-KIC values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background.
Your application should consist of a full curriculum vitae and a covering letter describing briefly how your profile, skills and experience meet the criteria outlined in the person specification, and outlining your interest in and vision for the role.
Please send your full application using the “apply now” button above.
Dynamic • Passionate • Engaging • Open • Inspiring • Excellent • Empowering